- Use 12 to 18 inches of floss and grasp it so that you have a couple inches of floss taut between your hands.
- Slip floss between teeth and into the area between your teeth and gums as far as it will go.
- Floss with at least 8 to 10 vertical strokes to dislodge food and plaque.
- Floss at least once a day. The most important time to floss is before going to bed.
- Floss before you brush your teeth.
The hardened plaque or calculus that build up along the gum line can’t be removed by flossing and brushing alone – It is important to have your teeth cleaned every six months by your dentist.